October 18, 2017 5:00PM
For some patients, life with chronic pain can become unbearable. The sense of isolation, hopelessness and stigma can be overwhelming for people living with persistent or complex pain and death may seem like the only option. If you're curious about how to respond when patients or clients with pain ask about Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD), this webinar is for you. You'll learn how Canadian laws for medically assisted death apply to patients with chronic pain.
- This webinar will not provide a venue for debate on the moral or ethical implications of MAiD, but will be an informative session offering practical communication strategies.
- Canadian laws are continually changing and thus the laws, terms and conditions of MAiD may also have changed at the time of viewing this webinar.
- Due to the sensitive nature of the content of this webinar, registration is only available for health care providers registered with a licensed body.
You'll learn to:
- Define and explain Canadian law related to MAiD, its process and eligibility requirements
- Use appropriate language to explain MAiD to patients
- Respond to patients who raise questions about MAiD while acknowledging their lived experience
- Use deep listening, empathy and compassion and offer hope and support
- Educate patients on pain self-management resources
- Identify support available for health care providers